Homemade Fruit Rollups

|
About 3 years ago we discovered that Jack is very sensitive to food coloring and corn syrup. One summer evening, Josh and I decided to pack up our little munchkins and get some Red Lobster (one of our favorites!) for dinner. I think Natalie was with Gramma and Papa, so we just had Jack, 2 1/2 , and Levi, 1 year, that day. It was getting late and Jack was hungry already. He sucked down a yogurt squeeze  before we left the house.

By the time we arrived to the restaurant he was bouncing off the walls. We had to wait for a seat and I remember Jack being extra wild. People always say, "boys will be boys". But I'm telling you, this kid was on something. At dinner he was throwing things, yelling loudly, crawling under the table, jumping on the booth seats, looking over the divider at the couple next to us, and when we'd have him sit down, he'd be up again within seconds. Josh and I were both on edge. Our sweet toddler had never behaved this badly before. It was a nightmare. We were the parents with the crazy toddler at a sit down restaurant that I never wanted to be like. It wasn't funny. It was embarrassing.

I shared this with my mom and she asked, if he ate anything with food coloring. He sure did. That was the first and last time I bought those yogurt squeezes. Now I'm not saying we never have food coloring or corn syrup in our house. We do have these items and you can find them in almost all processed foods.  But I do try to avoid giving my kids, especially Jack, food with these ingredients when we are going in public or before he has school.

My goal as a parent is to raise my children to be a blessing to others. I want other people to enjoy being around my children. If I cannot control him when he's "on" food coloring or corn syrup, why would I subject others this unruly behavior. If a doctor evaluated him "on" that, he would probably suggest he be medicated. I'm not talking about being a boy or being active; it's that excessive disobedient crazy kid kind of behavior. I am very thankful to know what it is that causes him to behave this way. I haven't dove full on into the organic everything kind of lifestyle. For now I just limit the food coloring and corn syrup. This may not be the answer for everyone with a wild child. But it may be worth a try.

Today I'm trying a new recipe- Homemade Fruit Rollups. A little extra effort and time to keep chaos away, seems worth it to me. Enjoy!


Homemade Fruit Rollups
Adapted from Our Best Bites

2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries or other fruit
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to lowest temperature 140 to 170. Defrost fruit and place in blender. Melt sugar in water over low heat just until dissolved. Add to blender with fruit and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Place a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet and spread fruit on mat to 1/8 inch thickness. Bake 6-8+ hours until center is no longer tacky. Allow to cool. Remove from mat and place onto parchment paper. Cut into strips and roll. Store in an air tight container or freeze. Enjoy!!

0 comments: